Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Recycled Bottle




recycled bottle, diy phone holder, diy docking station, shampoo bottle phone holder


Recycle soap/shampoo bottles to hold electronic devices while they charge.


recycled bottle docking station




1. Cut the bottle to the shape you want. I used scissors and an exacto knife. I really liked this shampoo bottle especially because the label peels off in one nice piece (huge plus!!) and it cut like buttah. I used patterned stationary paper to decorate it. You can buy it by the piece (about 50 cents) at most craft stores. Cut your paper to fit where you want it. I did a rough trace and then just trimmed away until I had the shape I wanted.

2. Mod Podge the back of your stationary paper onto bottle.

3. Trim away any excess or overhanging paper.

4. I added 3 coats of Mod Podge over the top of the paper to protect it.



If you don't feel comfortable having the plug or USB device support the weight of the devise, this idea also works well as cord control and storage with it sitting on a counter.







The excess cord stays curled inside the bottom of bottle.



From this...                                                           to this.



Especially great when traveling!


These were two other re-purposed bottles by Inhabitat and Make It and Love It (she decorated hers with fabric).





Click on image to go to link.

I found that my plugs were so bulky that they blocked the opening of the pouch where my phone rests, so mine is attached at the USB port. I experimented with a few different types of bottles until I found the right size.


Now...just try shopping for shampoo without seeing it's hidden potential as a phone holder!