Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Mountain House Kitchen Remodel Uder Way


The Mountain House is under a small kitchen renovation. New counters, cooktop, oven, sink, faucet, and tile backsplash. Here is the progress so far. The kitchen island was a DIY from 2009 you can see how we made it, here. I'm not crazy about the knotty pine cabinets, but my husband has ruled the cabinets OFF LIMITS. So, embracing the knotty pine, I'm shooting for a Spanish look instead of a cabin look, and I'm hoping the mismatched Mexican tile backsplash will help me accept love the knotty pine, maybe even some fab hardware. Am I fooling myself? Probably.




Before

I also want to add large crown molding on the top of the wall cabinets. I feel they look unfinished and I think I hung the baskets on the wall to help finish it, but it's not working for me. What I'd really like is no upper cabinets and big windows and open shelving. Not happening. So...

verde peacock granite install
verde peacock granite installation

When the granite was getting installed it cracked! First my heart broke-then I realized it wasn't that bad and negotiated a discount instead of a wasteful replacement and a four hour round trip for the installers. We have a seam at the stove that is way more visible than the crack. Just one of the pitfalls that always seem to happen.




verde peacock granite on knotty pine cabinets
Verde peacock granite with a Home Depot copper sink that I'm loving, tarnish and all.





Ikea oven and cooktop



In an Ikea cabinet (not visible, but behind oven trim) and Ikea legs.



ikea cooktop and oven
Trying out the Mexican tile backsplash



So far



Internet picture of the 4" tiles I ordered on ebay.



Minus the creepy suns. Eeek!  Who wants those faces staring at them??


A computer generated image of the backsplash on wall. We'll see how close the actual wall will look. I hope to get 'er finished this week and I'll post the new photos.